Saturday, May 23, 2009

Refreshing....


I can't believe it's been a month since I wrote something. I really do have a lot to say... We have been extremely busy here in our own wee (and we) little world. It seems that we are outside until after dark most days just trying to keep up with all of the tasks here at home. Lots of herbs, veggies, and fruits needing tending to. Not to mention the critters and their needs/demands/wants.. Then when I am inside, it's time on the sewing machine (which I must confess I love) and all of the other little chores before bedtime.

Today we're going to my mom's to have a bbq. I'm in the experimenting mood (sometimes good, sometimes sorta scary) so I am going to take some of my herbs that I harvested this morning and try to create something yummy. I'm thinking my theme is going to be "Refreshing". One of things I'm trying is the following recipe for Lavender Lemonade. I've had something similar at a bridal shower & have wanted to try my hand at it for a while:

Lavender Lemonade
  • 1/3 cup dried lavender ( be sure it's food grade)
  • 1/13 cup sugar
  • 14 lemons
  • 4 cups boiling water
  • 2 trays of ice cubes
  • 10 cups cold water or to taste

Put ice cubes into a large pitcher. Place dried lavender in a bowl and add the boiling water over the top of it. After about 10-15 minutes, strain the lavender out (with a strainer or a coffee filter will work). Discard the lavender. Add the sugar into the hot lavender water. When the sugar is dissolved, pour over the ice cubes in the pitcher. Squeeze as much juice as possible from the lemons into the pitcher. Add the cold water to the pitcher. Taste and adjust lemon juice or sugar as desired.

To continue along the "Refreshing" theme, I am going to make an Avocado-Cilantro soup. I love chilled soups and this one just sounds wonderful. (I am sorry that I don't know where these recipes originally came from so I can give credit. I have a habit of copying great ones down & not always getting their origins documented.)

Avocado-Cilantro Soup

  • 4 avocados, diced
  • 1 shallot, chopped
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, cold
  • 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 2 tbsp sour cream
  • 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
  • 1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
  • salt and pepper to taste

    Combine avocado, shallot, chicken broth, tomato paste, hot pepper sauce, lime juice and tequila in a large food processor. Add about 1/2 of the cilantro, saving some for garnishing. Process until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a large bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours, covered.
    When ready to serve, place the mixture into four chilled soup bowls. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and the remaining cilantro.

And lastly, on my creative front, I will make this lovely Pesto Butter/Dip. YUMMY! It doesn't necessarily go along with the Refreshing bit, but it's awesome and I picked the herbs specifically for this so here it goes.. (Now I just need to con Mom into making her Rosemary Bread..)

Pesto Butter/Dip

  • 2 tbsp ground black pepper
  • 2tbsp fresh oregano
  • 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp dried garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

    Grind together all ingredients except for the olive oil. Place the herb mixture onto a small plate and cover with a very thin layer of olive oil. Serve with warm bread or breadsticks.


Mom just called to tell me that she did make fresh bread so great minds are definitely on the same wavelength!!! Now just to fill in the rest of the meal. I'm thinking some grilled chicken breasts and strawberries for dessert......I'm hungry!




1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you entered my giveaway because I think I just found 2 new great recipes by checking out your blog! I can't wait to try the lemonade and soup this summer! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come by MoonCat Farms. We welcome your comments and look forward to hearing what you think. (Please note that we do have comment moderation on so that we will be sure to never miss a comment from one of our valued readers.) If you're entering one of our giveaways, PLEASE be sure to leave a way for us to contact you if you're the winner.