Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday Sweetness - Crummy Fruit Crumble

I haven't posted a recipe in just about forever.  So I thought I'd share a super-yummy one that I made last week for the hubby and Dad.  It got rave reviews and I apologize for no photos, they ate it rather quickly!

This is based loosely upon a recipe I found in a book I'm reviewing this week over at One Book Shy.  The book is a cozy mystery by Anne Canadeo called "A Stitch Before Dying". 

A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery) 

It's a part of her Black Sheep Knitting Mystery series.  Since many of you are avid knitters and readers, you may be familiar with it ~ if not, check it out.  (I'm not getting anything by telling you about this, I just enjoyed the book.)  Like I'm hoping you'll enjoy this:

Crummy Fruit Crumble

Ingredients
  • 6 cups thinly sliced apples (I used Fuji, Macintosh, and Delicious varieties)
  • 2 TBsp lemon juice
  • 1 TBsp orange juice
  • 2 TBsp lemon zest
  • 1 TBsp orange zest
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 3 sticks unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces - keep cold
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup granola
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3 TBsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a mixing bowl toss the sliced apples with the lemon & orange juices and zests.  Add 3 TBsp white sugar, 5 TBsp brown sugar, 2 TBsp flour, 2 TBsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg.  If the mixture is still too juicy, add a bit more flour.  Set this bowl aside. 

Lightly butter the inside of a 9x12 baking dish or pan.  Be sure it's deep enough to hold the mixture or you can go with a slightly larger size.  Pour the apples into the pan.

In a large mixing bowl put the chopped up butter, the rest of the flour and both sugars, plus the oatmeal, granola, walnuts.  Add 1 TBsp cinnamon and 1 tsp nutmeg.

I then used my clean, damp hands to knead this mixture until it was completely combined and had started to form into crumbles.  (Since my beloved sister-in-law Cindy gifted me with a stand mixer for Christmas - I can now use that with the paddle attachment instead of my hands!) Sprinkle over the top of the apples and then bake for about 30 minutes.  The crumbs should crisp up and the apple mixture will start to bubble. 

It is wonderful served warm with vanilla ice cream or whip cream.  YUMMMMMMM - I'm making myself hungry :)

*You can substitute other fruits for the apples - I'm thinking raspberries or peaches - or maybe combined!!  yummmm again..

Let me know if you try this and tell me what you think!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come by MoonCat Farms. We welcome your comments and look forward to hearing what you think. (Please note that we do have comment moderation on so that we will be sure to never miss a comment from one of our valued readers.) If you're entering one of our giveaways, PLEASE be sure to leave a way for us to contact you if you're the winner.