Monday, December 21, 2009

Avatar - A Movie Review

Mr. MoonCat and I had lunch with Mom at the hospital and just hung out with her for a few hours on Monday. She may be coming home in the next couple of days, but we'll have to wait and see. The doctors are never around when we are, it seems to me..

So after our visit, we decided to go check out the late matinee and see Avatar. We go to the movies quite a bit and we'd been seeing trailers for this flick for months. It definitely had our interest piqued. We are both fans of Science Fiction/Fantasy films and this one received a lot of hype well before it was released. (Since you haven't ever viewed a "movie review" from me, you know I have some strong feelings about it.)

What an awesome movie! It had a great storyline, action, drama, romance, fantabulous graphics, good actors, etc. Brand new film -making technology was created for this film, in fact they delayed making it for several years because the processes and equipment in use couldn't do what creator James Cameron had envisioned for his beautiful new world and exotic creatures.

We hit on many emotions throughout this 3 hour visual treat. I laughed, sniffled, cried, cringed, became angered, sighed, rooted on heroes, booed villains, oohed and ahhed over strange animals (that's a real shocker, huh?) and was thoroughly entertained. I didn't even realize how long the film really was until I turned my cell phone back on when it was over. When the hubby and I talk about a movie we've just seen all the way home (45 min drive), you know we were impressed one way or another.


I'm not going to get into plot here or tell you how the story goes because you can read about that HERE at the official site, or better yet, GO SEE THE MOVIE. I do want to talk about the fact that there is a very strong theme and message. It is not preachy by any means and I'm really sorry to say that way too many people won't get it. You could club them over the head with it and they still wouldn't get it. We did, and I think many of the people in the theater with us felt it too. The place was almost full and they were standing & clapping at the end of the movie. I had to come home and get online right away to read more about it (and of course to find out if there are any sequels in the offing - as in TWO..woo hoo!)

I think it'll be easier to use director/writer James Cameron's words to explain his intent when writing this movie. At a convention earlier this year, he told fans that he wanted to make people think about how they react with their environment and with other people. He wanted to make a point about how humans are trashing this world and possibly condemning ourselves to a very scary future.

"I have an absolute reverence for men who have a sense of duty, courage, but I’m also a child of the ’60s. There’s a part of me who wants to put a daisy in the end of the gun barrel. I believe in peace through superior firepower, but on the other hand I abhor the abuse of power and creeping imperialism disguised as patriotism. Some of these things you can’t raise without being called unpatriotic, but I think it’s very patriotic to question a system that needs to be corralled, or it becomes Rome."
—James Cameron


We are definitely planning on going to see it again, this time in either the IMAX or 3D version that they are also showing it in. I haven't gone twice to see a film at the show since Top Gun came out and the Marine pilot I was dating took me to see it THREE times! (TMI I'm sure, but it does get my point across.) We loved this movie and highly recommend it to everyone.

(And so the FCC doesn't give me any grief, I didn't do this review for ANY kind of compensation. The photos ARE from the 20th Century Fox site. We BOUGHT our own tickets and this review is MY OPINION that I wanted to share with my friends. Thank you very much!)

6 comments:

  1. Just seen it today in 3D :) Great film, great effects.
    As James Cameron said: "There’s a sense of entitlement- We’re here, we’re big, we’ve got the guns, we’ve got the technology, we’ve got the brains, we therefore are entitled to every damn thing on this planet.’ That’s not how it works and we’re going to find out the hard way if we don’t wise up and start seeking a life that’s in balance with the natural cycles of life on earth."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I feel like not enough people read my blog to really get the message out. I've been tooting the avatar horn since I saw it on the 19th!

    When you do go see it in 3D, make sure you get there early. Its very popular, and you DON'T want to get stuck on the extremes because it just doesn't work. Hurt my eyes. :(

    PS--TWO sequels? Seriously?? Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said! Thank you for taking the time to add that quote. It really sums it up doesn't it?

    We're going tomorrow to check out the 3D version ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just seen it with DH (3d)
    This film will leave its landmark in the history of Cinema. There will be a before an after AVATAR

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been hearing the same things from everybody who's reviewed this movie so far!

    It's definitely a must-see for me.

    Thanks for the review.

    )O(
    boo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bridgett, be sure you see it at the theater if you can. While I'm sure it'll still be fabulous on DVD, it's easy to get into the world when it's on the big screen!

    Thank you to all of you for coming by and letting me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to come by MoonCat Farms. We welcome your comments and look forward to hearing what you think. (Please note that we do have comment moderation on so that we will be sure to never miss a comment from one of our valued readers.) If you're entering one of our giveaways, PLEASE be sure to leave a way for us to contact you if you're the winner.